The school is named for John Knox (1514-1570), Scottish church leader who exhibited a passion for
promoting universal education. The complex is administered by a Board of Trustees appointed by the
United Church. Each school operates under its own principal and board of management, nominated
by the church and established by the Ministry of Education. Co-Founders of the complex of schools
are Rev. Lewis Davidson – First Principal and Mr. David Bent-First Bursar and Builder.
Other pioneers of the school include workers such as Mr. Leo Jones, Mr. Louis Byles, Mrs. Gloria Swaby,
Mr. Richard Clarage, Mr. George Scott, Dr. Barbara Jones and Mrs. Helen Stills.