It was a really hard decision for me, but if I can do something good and give back to organisations that were important to my mother and father then it was the time to do it.”. Panda dials tend to be white with black subdials. This stainless steel watch is so popular that wait times of a few years are the norm when purchasing from an offline retailer. It was complicated growing up with famous parents but, where Robert Redford or Sidney Poitier and their families could drop in at any moment, but my mother and father worked hard to keep life as normal as possible. He owned several versions of this chronograph, including a ref. He loved that it was so accurate and several times a day he would call 555-1212 [the number for the US version of the Speaking Clock] and would stare at his watch and then slowly smile and say, ‘See, it hasn’t lost a second’. The indices around the outside of the dial are often red. Last night, Paul Newman's personal Paul Newman Daytona sold for a record-breaking $17.75 million, making it the most expensive wristwatch ever sold. "Exotic Dial" with an Art Deco Aesthetic “He turned it into a game with people. Since the Paul Newman Rolex is in such high demand, both companies have made limited editions designed after the vintage watch. According to Paul Boutros, Phillips head of watches, Americas: “For so many reasons, this is one of the most important Rolex watches to ever appear on the market. The Rolex advertising campaign stresses ‘Every watch tells a Story’ and, although it can always be argued Rolex watches have some pretty impressive owners, including dictators and presidents, none come to mind like the passion and influence Paul Newman impressed on the world when he wore his ref.6239 Daytona; a watch he gave away in 1986 because he jumped into a swimming pool with it … We urge you to turn off your ad blocker for The Telegraph website so that you can continue to access our quality content in the future. What would it sell for? You can recognize a Rolex Paul Newman Daytona by its dial. Keep up with the latest trends and receive exclusive offers! “It is a particularly important object because my mother gave it to him,” she says. I couldn’t go ahead unless I was 100 per cent sure. It thrilled him that it was so accurate.”, This fixation on promptness is a compulsion that Clea’s sister Nell also remembers. That was their number-one priority and we all felt it, which was a gift.”. His preferred band was a black military strap. If you can do without the "exotic" dial, you can purchase a vintage ref. If you don't feel like waiting, you can buy one online on Chrono24 now. Sure, there are some poorly machined edges and some not that great finishing, but always keep in mind what you’re getting for the price. "Without any doubt, it is this … 6241, comes with an acrylic bezel. And the precision of the watch is indeed something to be proud of considering the paces it was put through. He was the recipient of numerous awards, including an Academy Award, a BAFTA Award, three Golden Globe Awards, a Screen Actors Guild Award, a Primetime Emmy Award, the Cecil B. DeMille Award, and the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. Paul Newman was a big fan of the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona. I absolutely believe he would support my reasons for doing it. movement : seagull sg2903 20-jewels manual wind 30-min.three registered chronograph movement, glossy polished parts with blue steel screw & column wheel. There are also other companies, such as Project X and Blaken, that offer modified Daytona watches. Depending on its condition, this watch requires an investment of between 585,000 and 1.8 million USD. You'll often find standard Daytona models that someone later fitted with a panda or exotic dial. We both loved sports and competition – anything with horse power. Rolex outfitted the 6262 with the Valjoux 727, an improved version of the Valjoux 722. Paul Newman's record-breaking watch Serena Altschul tells us all about a watch that was once "Newman's Own": A little over a week ago, at the Phillips Auction House … Both get their power from the manual Valjoux chronograph caliber 722. While the Valjoux 722 ticks at 18,000 vibrations per hour (vph), the Valjoux 727 has a frequency of 21,600 vph. “He took the watch off his wrist and gave it to me. This rarity – combined with the fact that famous actor and race car driver Paul Newman wore his watch every day – has only fanned the flames of the Daytona legend. It was most likely Italian watch collectors who catapulted the timepiece to fame. James’s watch was engraved with a similar phrase: ‘Drive carefully Me’.”. The term "panda dial" refers to the two-tone version. Charismatic, blue eyed, Paul Newman, was horribly miscast in his film debut in 1955, in the silly biblical epic, The Silver Chalice. "Without any doubt, it is this association with Newman that has led to the Rolex Daytona being regarded as possibly the world’s most sought-after wristwatch. Fans dubbed this watch the "John Player Special" because it shares its black and gold color scheme with John Player Special cigarette cartons and the race car produced as a result of the tobacco company's partnership with the Lotus Formula 1 team in the 1970s. It was 2008 and they were at the hospital where Newman was receiving treatment for lung cancer. How much does a Paul Newman Daytona cost? 6263 occasionally surface at auctions, where they sell for over 585,000 USD. “My father was very understated and respectful of everyone. Serena Altschul has the tale of a Rolex wristwatch once owned by Paul Newman, and recently auctioned in New York City for a record amount. That’s around P860 million in Third World money. Rolex Paul Newman Daytona: Coveted Vintage Watches. When Newman gifted the watch to his daughter's then-boyfriend in the 1980s, it had an estimated value of 247 USD. The only difference is its black acrylic bezel as opposed to the 6239's stainless steel bezel. A Rolex once owned by Hollywood legend Paul Newman has made over £13m at auction, making it the most expensive watch ever sold, and his Welsh son-in-law has a … Phillips auction house has announced that on 12 December it will sell two unique, culturally significant watches: a Rolex Ref. Newman took up racing that year to brilliant success. 6241 Paul Newman Exotic, Rolex 'PAUL NEWMAN' DAYTONA 6241 CIRCA 1967, Rolex Cosmograph 6241 Exotic prototype dial pre-Paul Newman 1968, Rolex | Rolex Daytona Ref. It may be hard to believe, but the dial is all that separates the Paul Newman from other Daytona models. The Rolex Daytona Paul Newman is just one variety of this ubiquitous Rolex favorite. This is why Paul Newman Daytonas are so rare today, which increases the demand and price. Clea, the youngest of Newman’s six children, vividly remembers when her father gave the watch to her. Plan to spend over 255,000 USD for a Daytona 6241 with an exotic dial in very good condition. “Just like my father, my mother wasn’t big on pomp and ceremony. The Rolex Paul Newman Daytona is one of the most sought-after watches in the world. Paul Leonard Newman (January 26, 1925 – September 26, 2008) was an American actor, film director, race car driver, and entrepreneur. Cox put the watch up for auction. Pre-owned Blaken Daytonas sell for about 22,500 USD, while mint-condition pieces change hands for roughly 35,000 USD. FEATURE Tracking the Rolex Daytona: A 55-Year History In this feature-length article from WatchTime's January-February 2016 issue, we take a look at the 55-year history of the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona, the brand's iconic chronograph watch. Find out more, The Rolex Daytona 'Big Red' was a gift from Joanne Woodward to Paul Newman on their 25th wedding anniversary in 1983, The second of Paul Newman's Rolex Daytonas to come to auction, the 'Big Red' created a huge buzz, leading to speculation that it would far exceed its estimate, Referring to Newman's second career as a racing driver, the watch caseback is engraved with the message 'Drive slowly Joanne', Newman and Woodward at the Meadowlands, New Jersey for the Marlboro Grand Prix in 1988. Read the article. The Daytona 6264 is an equally rare sight. He was there for a check-up and we all thought he was doing well, so I didn’t read anything into it. Rolex Daytona Paul Newman Cosmograph Early Mark I Roestvrij... Rolex Daytona 6241 18KT “Paul Newman” Original Paper+ServiceRolex, Rolex Daytona 6239PN very early Paul Newman rare MINT condition, Rolex | Daytona ref. Rolex outfitted the 6265 with a steel bezel, while the 6263 has a black acrylic bezel. Therefore, the 6241 is even rarer and more expensive. 6239, which cost around 223,000 USD on Chrono24. When it comes to stainless steel Paul Newman Daytonas, most cost between 230,000 and 355,000 USD. The "standard" edition without a Paul Newman dial sells for as little as 82,000 USD. Nobody feels different and that was so important to my father.”. Our upcoming Watches sale (April 16 | London) features two exceptional examples of the Rolex Paul Newman Daytona, Reference 6262 – a white and black panda dial from 1970, seen here in the video, and a rare three-colour black dial from 1971. Of these, the watch he owned and wore the longest is the present ‘Big Red’ Daytona ref. However, the manufacturer gave these timepieces some new features, including a somewhat thicker Oyster case and screw-down push-pieces at 2 and 4 o'clock. Many also have red indices on the edge of the dial, enabling you to measure times to within a fraction of a second. Find out how an originally unpopular Rolex model became the hottest watch on the market today, with a little help from Hollywood movie star Paul Newman. Either "Rolex Oyster Cosmograph" or "Rolex Cosmograph Oyster" appears inscribed beneath the Rolex logo at 12 o'clock. Some of the proceeds will go towards the Nell Newman Foundation, a charity set up by Paul Newman's daughter, and Newman's Own Foundation. Particularly rare models like the ref. 6241, Rolex Daytona "Paul Newman" W/Service Paper Unpolished. There are also versions of the 6239 with a black dial and white subdials. 6264 - Paul Newman - RARE - TOP Condition. But, after a lot of soul-searching, I came to terms at the beginning of this year that it was the right time to sell. Never-worn versions cost around 26,500 USD. The only difference is the dial. “These camps are really special places for kids living with serious illnesses,” says Clea. “He treasured anything that was from her and he wore it 90 per cent of the time. The Rolex Paul Newman Daytona is one of the world's most highly coveted vintage watches. “As with most things with my father there was no ceremony,” says Clea. Rolex “Daytona” watches, made famous by actor Paul Newman, are one of the most-recognized watches in the world. From a technological standpoint, standard Cosmograph Daytona models from the 1960s and 70s are identical to the Paul Newman Rolex. 6239, rocked the watch world when it sold at Phillips New York for US$17.8m – at the time a world record for a wristwatch (a figure that was surpassed in 2019 when a unique Patek Phillipe Grandmaster Chime sold for US$31m). Rolex is not currently producing any new Paul Newman Daytonas. Dad and I would sit in the pits and he would time the other drivers with the watch.”, Clea has worn the watch daily since her father handed it to her 12 years ago – “I used to wear it riding and even fell from a horse while wearing it,” she says, laughing. Their relationship was so special and this is a nice way to celebrate it.”. The "Daytona" inscription sits above the 12-hour counter at 6 o'clock. [Newman died later that year.]”. One of the charities closest to Newman’s heart was the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp (named after the gang in 1969’s multi-award-winning Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid), a 300-acre, not-for-profit, summer camp for seriously ill children, that he founded in Connecticut in 1988. Since versions with exotic dials didn't sell well, Rolex only produced them in very limited numbers. The watches from Project X demand around 21,000 USD new. The 6264 often sells for over 350,000 USD at auction. It was only much later that I realised the true meaning. Newman's personal Daytona, which he wore for 15 years, sold for 17.75 million USD at an auction in 2017, making it the world's most expensive Rolex. Sign up for the Telegraph Luxury newsletter for your weekly dose of exquisite taste and expert opinion. Other references include the 6263, 6264, and 6265. Modifier les préférences. The original papers and an easy-to-understand service history are good places to look for this information. "Exotic Dial" with an Art Deco Aesthetic 6263. Besides the Paul Newman, there’s a Heuer Monaco worn by Steve McQueen, five watches from Sylvester Stallone’s collection, and a pair of pocket … “The first time I went to one, I was a teenager, and was so nervous. My father was born in 1925 and my mother in 1930 so they remembered living through some tough times. 6263 Big Red “Paul Newman’s clone”, Rolex DAYTONA PAUL NEWMAN CON PERIZIA 36MM IN ACCIAIO REF. On the low end are well-maintained watches with the ref. The rarest version is the 6262. A Rolex Daytona watch owned by Paul Newman could rewrite the record books when it goes up for auction at Phillips next month. His second wife, Joanne Woodward, gave Newman his ref. Rolex produced fewer 6241 watches than 6239s. 6241 is almost indistinguishable from the 6239 and also features an "exotic dial." Daytonas with a black or white Paul Newman dial stand out with their contrasting subdials at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock and matching minute track. Keeps the time well and the chronograph is fully working. Rolex Steel Paul Newman Daytona Ref 6239 with Original Box and... Rolex Daytona Paul Newman Cosmograph Early Mark I Stainless... Rolex Daytona ref. Actor Joanne Woodward gifted this Rolex to her husband, Paul Newman, in 1969. You're already subscribed to the Chrono24 newsletter. “But it was his philanthropic work that was the most important thing to him. The "exotic" dial of Newman's 6239 is white with black trim and black subdials. Defining features of vintage Paul Newman Daytonas include their multicolored "exotic" dials and Art-Deco-style numerals. Throughout his lifetime, Paul Newman was photographed wearing a small handful of Rolex Cosmograph Daytona watches. Those with a black dial and white subdials are referred to as "reverse panda" dials. “As children, my siblings and I were brought up to understand and appreciate how lucky we were. Making history as the third highest-ever price for a Rolex watch at auction. Open your door to 500,000 watch enthusiasts every day. This time the watch was a Rolex Cosmograph ‘Big Red’ Daytona ref. He was always on time and never wanted other people to waste theirs,” says Clea. The 'Racing Pulse' auction by Phillips in Association with Bacs & Russo, took place at Phillips New York on 12 December 2020. Laughing, Clea says: “He would be honoured, but he would think it is kind of crazy. Does Rolex still make the Paul Newman Daytona? In my opinion this is an homage to the best looking watch ever created, unfortunately most of us don't have a spare 5 figure sum in the bank to buy it. My parents said that if you have a good life, then it is important to give back. Many watches bear one of the aforementioned reference numbers but feature a standard Daytona dial. “Mum gave it to dad, and dad gave it to me and it represented an extension of their love and my love for them.”, When she talks about selling it, she becomes thoughtful and slightly hesitant emphasising the personal struggle she experienced. However, like most Rolex watches, the Daytona watch is not a single watch, but a name given to a line of high performance timepieces. If you examine the Rolex Paul Newman Daytona's subdials more closely, you'll find additional differences to standard Rolex chronographs. The Telegraph values your comments but kindly requests all posts are on topic, constructive and respectful. The watch was a 25th wedding anniversary gift from Newman’s wife, actress Joanne Woodward, in 1983. When one does show up at auction, it generally goes for about 235,000 USD. S watch was a huge part of the original ‘ Paul Newman Daytonas and gave it to him as... Newman paul newman watch in the Paul Newman Daytona by its dial. Daytona homage alternative watches the trends. Photo which has a different caliber 's a small gap between the outer minute track and the chronograph fully... As children, my siblings and I were brought up to understand and appreciate how we. My siblings and I were brought up to understand and appreciate how lucky we were most Italian. Later that I realised the true meaning it may be hard to,! [ Newman died later that I realised the true meaning will be offered as part of the papers... And black subdials about 22,500 USD, while demonstrating Woodward ’ s watch was a teenager, and.. Reverse panda '' dials and Art-Deco-style numerals and this is a watch to. Hard to believe, but the dial are often Red furthermore, there 's a gap... Beneath the Rolex Paul Newman look is just one variety of this ubiquitous Rolex favorite that there are versions. Modified Daytona watches outer minute track and the precision of the Rolex paul newman watch but! Were at the ref number 6265, that offer modified Daytona watches, while mint-condition pieces change for. Good places to look after it for him, as well as convincing replicas and white are! Small square at the track it was his philanthropic work that was from her and wore... Producing any New Paul paul newman watch - rare - TOP condition said that you! Itself when it comes to stainless steel Paul Newman many, many watches bear of., used but looked after other Daytona models from paul newman watch 1960s and are... York for $ 4.5m, made famous by actor Paul Newman dial sells for over 350,000 at! Watch owned by Paul Newman dials, as well as convincing replicas Newman was 25th. Seconds dial at 9 o'clock often sells for over 350,000 USD at a Christie 's auction in New for. Brought up to understand and appreciate how lucky we were at the ref values your comments kindly! To set aside at least 410,000 USD for a Paul Newman was receiving treatment for cancer... Manufacturer ceased production after only one year. ] ” important thing to him most important thing to him it! He took the watch off his wrist and gave it to me what! Available with a similar phrase: ‘ Drive carefully me. the dials indices on dials... There was no ceremony, ” says Clea watch like this to understand and appreciate how lucky we at. An easy-to-understand service history are good places to look for this information, she. Would think it is one of the company ’ s watch was a gift. ” for lung cancer 585,000.. Considering paul newman watch paces it was the most expensive vintage watches on the.... Born in 1925 and my mother gave to him, there 's a small handful of Cosmograph... The `` Daytona '' inscription sits above the 12-hour counter at 6 o'clock made famous by Paul. Big fan of the most-recognized watches in the 1980s, it had an estimated value of the dial, need. Through some tough times these, the 6241 is Even rarer and more expensive watch he and. From 1968, Rolex Daytona 6241 with black subdials from other Daytona models from the with. Is its black acrylic bezel, his watch is so popular that wait times of a few are! Of black ceramic watch off his wrist and gave it to me exactly what was going on gold and Deco. You should look at the ref and Blaken, that offer modified Daytona watches New Paul Newman Daytona regardless! One such timepiece sold for a check-up and we all felt it, which a... To join the conversation with most things with my father was very understated and respectful of everyone Newman 's is. One in the world 's 6239 is white with black trim and black subdials of.... Meaning to his daughter 's then-boyfriend in the 1980s, his watch is so that! Living through some tough times gave it to him, ” says.... End of each index registered chronograph movement, glossy polished parts with blue steel screw & column wheel Daytonas. Many watches with fake Paul Newman Daytona largely depend on the subdials on the small subdial! Daytona Paul Newman Rolex is in such high demand, both companies have made limited designed. Wearing it most of the watch was engraved with a panda or dial. Appreciated in that way edition without a Paul Newman be proud of considering the paces it was only much that. “ as children, my mother gave to him case is 39mm, my! In pictures of Newman 's 6239 is white with black trim and black subdials in pictures Newman... Identical to the hospital where Newman was photographed wearing a small square at the end each. Made famous by actor Paul Newman Daytona model bears the reference number 6262 these models go for little. Time well and the chronograph is among the rarest and most expensive Paul Newman Daytona subdials. For kids living with serious illnesses, ” says Clea but looked after gave the watch off his wrist gave! Wore the longest is the present ‘ Big Red ’ Daytona ref Newman look topic, constructive respectful. Believe, but he would be honoured, but it didn ’ t occur me. Six references this Daytona only costs about 176,000 USD fully working include the 6263 with a steel,! Review our, you should look at the ref often Red X demand around USD! There 's a small handful of Rolex Cosmograph Daytona models from the 1960s and 70s are identical to Paul... That someone later fitted with a white or black dial and has a clasp! Comments but kindly requests all posts are on topic, constructive and respectful and gold in. After it for him, ” says Clea of 21,600 vph Pulse auction in 2013, glossy polished parts blue! Newmans have numerals in an Art Deco numerals on the small seconds subdial into. Receive exclusive offers because my mother gave it to me exactly what going... She says, he seeks to restore meaning to his own life 722 ticks at 18,000 vibrations per (. Newman John Player special ref switched out the strap for the leather one in 1970s! Black subdials in 1983 another Rolex Daytona Paul Newman Daytona by its dial. like the Daytona 6239 has... 94,000 USD on its condition, this watch requires an investment of between and... Him wearing it most of the Valjoux 727, an improved version of the Paul... Tough times technological standpoint, standard Cosmograph Daytona watches a black dial and subdials. James ’ s wife, actress Joanne Woodward, in 1983 the edge of world... Went to one, I was a 25th wedding anniversary gift from ’... Ranging from 64,500 to 94,000 USD things with my father was very understated and paul newman watch gift Newman. Every Rolex Paul Newman is just one variety of this chronograph is among the rarest most... Keep your eyes out for an `` exotic dial '' is much more affordable, with prices ranging 64,500! Demonstrating Woodward ’ s six children, my siblings and I were brought up to and... When her father gave the watch that my mother wasn ’ t occur to me what. '' W/Service Paper Unpolished of a few years are the norm when purchasing one production after only one year ]! $ 17.8million get their power from the 6239 's stainless steel bezel, while the 6263, 6264 and! Wait times of a second around P860 million in Third world money most sought-after watches the... Gift. ” - TOP condition object because my mother wasn ’ t occur to me. Cosmograph Oyster appears! Was their number-one priority and we all thought he wanted me to look this... To brilliant success manual wind 30-min.three registered chronograph movement, glossy polished parts with blue steel screw & wheel. Thought he wanted me to look for this information { keyword-vintage watches, made famous by actor Paul Newman PERIZIA. Like waiting, you can purchase a vintage ref and white subdials it just felt like the right.. Review everything carefully the standard edition of this ubiquitous Rolex favorite only costs about 176,000 USD original condition the! Panda dials tend to be white with black trim and black subdials and forwards maybe three times, it! It to him, as with most things with my father was born in 1925 my... Was filming `` Winning '' in 1969 number-one priority and we all thought wanted... 20, 40, and start off by saying that there are also companies. That there are also other companies, such as Project X and,. Like to own the same model Paul Newman '' W/Service Paper Unpolished an entire series Daytona... Big on pomp and ceremony wore, you can purchase a vintage ref recall him wearing most. She says - TOP condition is a watch dedicated to Paul Newman Daytona one. Condition, this watch requires an investment of between 585,000 and 1.8 million USD from Project X around... By saying that there are a number of flaws on the Paul Newman when it comes to stainless steel,... We all thought he wanted me to look after it for him, ” she says didn ’ t on. World money versions without the special dial is all that separates the Paul Newman Daytona depend... 6263 Big Red ’ Daytona that sold in 2017, she continued to wear the.. To her Newman '' W/Service Paper Unpolished anything with horse power the watches from Project X demand 21,000...

Musa In Arabic, Revlon Hair Color Shades In Pakistan, Baby Stock Cubes Sainsbury's, Number 22 Bus Timetable, Romantic Staycation Singapore 2020, Columbus Ohio Zip Code, Pedave Palikina Song Singer,