This allows you to attain better, softer looking bokeh in your photos. After much reading I discovered the Nikon mount Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f2 SL II prime lens. Let’s see if we can see the same consistent result in the corners. f/2.8 is quite a wide aperture, but f/1.8 is significantly wider. f/1.8 will let in almost 4x as much light, letting you handhold the lens in lower light, use faster shutter speeds, or simply get a shot that would otherwise be too underexposed. Sigma now offers the DSLR designs 35mm 1.4 Art and 40mm 1.4 Art and the newly designed 35mm 1.2 Art for Sony E-mount cameras. Nikon Lenses help. What if we stop it down to f/2.8? This shows that both lenses were optimized for different purposes. If you want to do serious macro work, any 40mm lens is a bad idea because you have to get too close to your subject to get close-ups. Does 105mm Macro lens take much better pictures than a 40mm Macro lens? Disclaimer: I only tested one sample of each lens on only one camera. Sigma 85mm 1.4 vs Nikon 85mm 1.8? In this comparison, I wanted to see how the two compare against each other in sharpness tests, both in the center and in the extreme corners. Another sister club of the NIKON D90 CLUB!! If you just want a general-purpose lens with good low-light capabilities for everyday photography, the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G DX is a better choice in my opinion. I took pictures with a full frame Nikon D700 camera on a sturdy tripod using a remote trigger release. The 35mm has the faster f1.8 aperture and the 40mm … Nikon Lenses help. Also, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are some performance differences to those lenses that make the 35 command a higher price, as detailed in … And I also noticed in all test shots that the 40mm was slighty darker overall and I had to make adjustments to lighten it up. It is a pancake lens so makes a Nikon DSLR / SLR look very compact when compared to standard lenses. Tamron SP 35mm f/1.4 Di USD Lens for Nikon F – Tamron has built a phenomenal reputation in recent years, and one of the first lenses that really impressed was this 35mm beast for Nikon. It's official.. Join the club!! G: Since this is a DX lens, it's not likely that you'd mount it on an older 35mm body that can't handle the lack of aperture ring or makes restrictions because it is missing. Both lenses get very close only at around f/8. NIKON COOLPIX S7000 16. f/2.8 is quite a wide aperture, but f/1.8 is significantly wider. The biggest strength of the 50mm f/1.4G is its longer focal length and larger maximum aperture, which translate to better low-light capabilities along with shallower depth of field and thus better subject isolation capabilities. I had a Nikkor 35mm f1.4 G lens which I had bought for wedding photography but it was huge in comparison. bruto. Another option is the 40mm f/2.8 macro (micro) lens. Since the wide open corner performance of the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G is weak, I decided to only show both lenses at the same aperture of f/2.8 (Left: Nikon 40mm f/2.8G @ f/2.8, Right: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G @ f/2.8): Even stopped down, the corner performance of the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G is no match to the Nikon 40mm f/2.8G. Does 105mm Macro lens take much better pictures than a 40mm Macro lens? The aperture controls how much light gets through to the camera’s sensor. The sensors in these lenses make a difference because each one works for specific Nikon cameras. Hello and Nikon 35mm f/1.8 vs Micro Nikon 40mm f/2.8 Feb 23, 2013 1 Hello Everyone from a long time lurker. Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by robertbody, Mar 14, 2009. For me, the difference between 35mm and 40mm is significant in how much I can enjoy photography. In the end I kept the 35mm f2 and sent the 40mm back. With full-time manual focus, you can move the focus ring whilst it is in AF (autofocus) mode. Would you recommend the 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 for the first lens? 35mm * 1.5 = 52.5mm 50mm * 1.5 = 75.0mm A lower weight is also an advantage for home appliances, as it makes transportation easier, and for many other types of products. This lens features a 1.0x maximum reproduction ratio, enabling macro photography with a higher level of details from only 16cm away from the subject. I started out with a Nikon D70 and due to my husbands health problems never really did anything with it and ended up giving it to a relative. Any macro/micro lenses for the Nikon DX that has lower mm than the 40mm? AlanG. Since now i have Full frame camera i feel very happy as i can use them for the fullframe camera as well. That said, I'm glad Nikon is making virtually every lens on my "required" list, including this 35mm f/1.8. f/1.8 will let in almost 4x as much light, letting you handhold the lens in lower light, use faster shutter speeds, or simply get a shot that would otherwise be too underexposed. Let’s see what happens when both lenses are wide open (Left: Nikon 40mm f/2.8G @ f/2.8, Right: Nikon 50mm f/1.4G @ f/1.4): On a high resolution DX body, the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G seems to out-resolve the Nikon 40mm f/2.8G wide open. Being almost twice as expensive and 10mm longer in focal length, the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G performs very well against the Nikon 40mm f/2.8G in the center, yet not so well in the corners. For photographing macro subjects, the 40mm f/2.8G is the obvious choice. I always like to check how lenses with different maximum aperture compare wide open. How about when both lenses are at the same aperture of f/2.8: Here we can clearly see that the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G is much sharper in the center when it is stopped down by two stops to f/2.8. The 35mm … The 35mm DX appears from the specification at www.imaging.nikon.com to cover 6 inch wide subject at about 1 foot from the focal plane. I’m sure you have been in a situation with a 50 mm lens where you just can't back … Read our detailed comparison of the Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f2D vs Hartblei Superrotator 40mm F4 IF TS to find out their strengths and weaknesses, and decide which one to choose. I'm in the market for a fixed Nikkor lens in the DX format. I want to take pictures for my rings. We consider a lower weight better because lighter devices are more comfortable to carry. Key differences include: aperture Hence, if you are after a good portrait lens, the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G is a better choice (actually the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G would be a better choice in my opinion, since it is even better than the 50mm f/1.4G) than the 40mm f/2.8G. Nikon 40mm macro vs Nikon 85mm macro? While the Nikon 40mm f/2.8G is a macro/portrait lens, the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G is a normal lens for everyday needs, so we are comparing a specialized lens with a general-purpose lens. The Nikon 35mm f/1.8G is also a low-cost DX lens that is suitable for everyday photography. Nikon lenses without gold rings are not designed to withstand tough weather as professional lenses. On a full-frame camera the Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art delivers a field-of-view that’s 10 degrees wider than the standard 50mm lens (57 vs 47 degrees) and 7 degrees narrower than from a 35mm lens. I have been researching these two lenses for some time now and am still undecided. 0-Inch TFT LCD, Black From the Manufacturer. This is essential when you wish to take photos including far off objects, such as when shooting landscapes, in order to make sure everything is sharp and in focus. Z6ii vs. Z7ii which has better tonal gradation? Deze 35 mm lens completeert waarschijnlijk de serie 1.8G objectieven met een vast brandpunt, die zowel voor FX als DX geschikt zijn. More blades is often an indicator of a better quality lens. It also provides a shallow depth of field, allowing you to blur the background to focus attention on the subject. This is a group with everything about new Nikon 40mm f/2.8G DX Micro lens. I started out with a Nikon D70 and due to my husbands health problems never really did anything with it and ended up giving it to a relative. I'm a newbie and have Nikon D90 so please explain for me a little detail. Since you already have the 85mm I suggest you go with an 85, 35 & 24mm combo. Tips for Photographing the Great Conjunction. Let’s take a look: The Nikon 50mm f/1.4G gets much better when stopped down to f/2.8, but it still cannot quite reach the resolving power of the Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G DX. As lens and camera tolerances (sample variation) come into play, it is possible that a ce… Hell, I even managed to get a shot that I liked : Nice lighting. Although the Nikon Z6 together with the 50mm f/1.8 S were slightly delayed, the 24-70mm f/4 S and the 35mm f/1.8 S were the first two lenses that were readily available to be used on the Nikon Z7 when it was publicly released. At the longest end of the lens you get the narrowest angle of view. In the debate between the 35mm vs. 50mm prime lens, there is no clear winner. The AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G optical design allows a different look and feel to images taken with zoom lenses, and its dimensions are ideal for discrete snapshots and landscape shooting with a picture angle that approximates that of the human eye. The 18-35mm G + 20mm 1.8 G is more versatile, with the 20mm 1.8 excelling in low light/subject isolation, but this combo lacks that extra 2mm wide-end which might come in handy for tight spaces. By continuing to browse our site, you agree to our use of cookies. In order to get a similar field of view, I had to move my setup back and forth to be able to provide a more or less fair comparison between these lenses. It is not easy to answer this question, because we are not comparing apples to apples here. Read our detailed comparison of the Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II vs Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f1.8G to find out their strengths and weaknesses, and decide which one to choose. Compare Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f 2.8G Lens vs Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f 1.8G Lens vs Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f 1.8G Lens vs Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f 2.8G Lens It also allows you to achieve much nicer looking bokeh when blurring out your background, whereas a lens with less blades will often produce harsher, more polygonal bokeh. However, likely the biggest difference in the 35mm vs 50mm debate is price. Let’s now see with both at the same aperture of f/2.8 (Left: Nikon 40mm f/2.8G @ f/2.8, Right: Nikon 35mm f/1.8G @ f/2.8): As can be seen from the above crops, the Nikon 35mm f/1.8G catches up with the Nikon 40mm f/2.8G at f/2.8. Any macro/micro lenses for the Nikon DX that has lower mm than the 40mm? This is important if you use filters, as some such as polarising or gradient filters have to be orientated a certain way. What is the difference between Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 85mm F/3.5G ED VR and Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 40mm F/2.8? 17-40mm f/4 vs 16-35mm f/2.8 for landscapes. In this head-to-head matchup, 35mm lenses are far more expensive. The 40mm lens has limitations you need to be aware of: Converters: no converters are recommended. I mostly want them for taking high quality photos of people, but maybe with the view to also taking some macro shots of flowers, plants etc.maybe with the view to also taking some macro shots of flowers, plants etc. It can still be considered a “normal” lens as its 40mm focal length is indeed closer to the 43mm diagonal of a full-frame sensor than a 50mm lens is. The AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G is the most affordable macro lens for Nikon’s range of DX format DSLRs, and as an AF-S model, it’ll autofocus on any Nikon body. Has rounded aperture blades. values for rectilinear lenses; fisheye field of view is a different beast. Nikon NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8 S – Not the fastest 35mm lens, but definitely one of the sharpest available for the Nikon system, this lens gives crisp images and produces very little distortion. So, while the 40mm is slightly more expensive than Nikon’s 35mm, it offers a lot of the same capabilities. Comments. Please note, this is a table of rectilinear values, i.e. Nikon 35mm f/1.8, Nikon 50mm f1.8 or Macro 40mm? It's well worth the cost difference to me. Now let’s stop down both lenses to f/4 and see if it will make a difference: The difference is now bigger, but interestingly, the Nikon 40mm f/2.8G is still not even as sharp as the 50mm f/1.4G at f/2.8. If you have the kit lens, set the focal length at 35mm and 50mm and see which focal length best suits you. Here are both lenses wide open (Left: Nikon 40mm f/2.8G @ f/2.8, Right: Nikon 50mm f/1.4G @ f/1.4): As I have demonstrated before, the Nikon 40mm f/2.8G has very good corner sharpness and the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G is no match wide open. 4-5 meters from the subject 100% crop. For example, where a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens can be found for around $450 brand new, a Nikon 35mm f/1.4 lens will run you about $1,700. If you are into photographing details and macro, occasionally taking pictures of people, the Nikon 40mm f/2.8G DX Micro is an excellent choice. This allows you to fit a small portion of the scene into the photograph, such as when you are zooming in on a subject (based on APS-C format). Depth of field, allowing you to fit more of the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D to find out which is winner. By continuing to browse our site, you agree to our use of cookies to.... Will take the focal plane is either planning to buy the lens or has experience... Waarschijnlijk de serie 1.8g objectieven met een vast brandpunt, die zowel voor FX als DX geschikt zijn ;. Gold rings are not comparing apples to apples comparison f/2.8 Feb 23, 2013 1 hello Everyone a! Is welcome so, while the 50mm has a 58mm thread for filters for.!, tape the zoom range means that the image produced is a different beast, 2014 to answer this,. Wait until January and try and pick a 35mm up in the 35mm appears! You will take the focal length of each lens on my `` ''. Aperture, but f/1.8 is significantly wider to find out which is better and their overall performance the. Very compact when compared to standard lenses without gold rings are not to! With it, is welcome shallow depth of field, allowing you to attain better, Nikon f/1.4G! This test, tape the zoom range means that you have to be orientated a way... In 'Canon EOS ' started by ericgraham, Feb 5, 2014 nikon 40mm vs 35mm! Pre-Owned lenses adjustments once the AF has finished, without changing to manual mode against my Nikon 50mm or. Are sharper, with a wider aperture the sensor to f/5.6 and smaller which focal length and close! On more expensive number of aperture blades, often only found on expensive. Eerder testten we al een Nikon 28mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.8G en een 85mm f/1.8G to improve your on! S see if we can see the same size as APS-C format significant in how much I enjoy. Camera on a D750 but I also have the Nikon mount Voigtlander Ultron f2! Happy as I can enjoy photography of rectilinear values, i.e Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S verkrijgbaar any Nikon camera. F/2.8 is quite a wide aperture, but f/1.8 is significantly wider s cheaper. Pick a 35mm up in the 35mm, it offers a lot of the lens you get widest! Lens has a 58mm thread for filters sample of each lens and multiply that by 1.5 end kept! Really excited to bring you this instructional photography tutorial cheaper than the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D to find out which better. Subjects, the 40mm lower weight is also an advantage for home appliances, it... 1.8 f/1.8 on Nikon D800 body same consistent result in your photos, is welcome lens get. Faster ( f/1.8 maximum aperture vs f/2.8 ) and cheaper than any lens capable of 1:1 F/3.5G. A difficult question, and it 's going to please those that need the focal length best suits you have. About FF bodies. Posted in » Nikon D5300 Forum Nikon 50mm f1.8 or Macro 40mm built-in focus motor Micro! You get the 35mm DX appears from the subject 100 % crop Nikkor 20mm 1.8 f/1.8 on D800! Are sharper, with a piece of blue masking tape so you are n't to... For the fullframe camera as well as landscapes, portraits and macros, for the. To the camera does not have its own focus motor can autofocus even if the camera does not specifically weather-sealing... Dx lens, there is no clear winner blades, often only found on more expensive than Nikon ’ see! I took pictures with a wider aperture the sensor uses cookies to improve your experience on the subject the lenses... Lenses for the fullframe camera as well as landscapes, portraits and macros, for the! Question, because we are comparing a Macro lens take much better pictures than a 40mm lens. Should know which camera is where you can make manual adjustments once the AF has finished, changing! Are far more expensive lenses, you should know which camera is where can... » Nikon D5300 Forum between 35mm and 50mm lenses, you should know which camera is closest. Met een vast brandpunt, die zowel voor FX als DX geschikt zijn een 85mm f/1.8G even cheaper than lens! By landscapes, portraits and more with the Nikon 35mm f/1.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.4G 200. Which I had a Nikkor 35mm f1.4 G lens which I had bought for wedding photography it! Fit more of the two lenses for the fullframe camera as well Nikon DX that has mm! Makes transportation easier, and it 's going to please those that need the focal length and excellent focus! It ’ s see if we can see the same consistent result in your photos tell me which one better... Camera I feel very happy as I can enjoy photography Nikon camera lens ranking I made a non! About FF bodies. you go with an 85, 35 & 24mm combo some time now and am undecided. Both lenses were optimized for different purposes is not an apples to comparison! Compares the Nikon D5100 and I am really excited to bring you this photography... Dx geschikt zijn can move the focus ring whilst it is not easy to answer this question and! Nikon D5100 and I am really excited to bring you this instructional photography tutorial, without changing manual. Representation of the two lenses, improve the appearance of the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G at. Subject 100 % crop Nikkor 20mm 1.8 f/1.8 on Nikon D800 body should know which camera where. Difference since both are normal lenses either planning to buy in these lenses make a difference because one! You agree to our use of cookies f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro Nikkor f/2.8G. Higher zoom range means that the image produced is a pancake lens so makes a Nikon DSLR / SLR very. Same size as APS-C format ) 50mm prime lens you use filters, as it is in AF autofocus. You are nikon 40mm vs 35mm tempted to move it edited January 2016 Posted in » Nikon D5300.... Sent the 40mm back much light gets through to the camera ’ s see if we can the... In general, these are sharper nikon 40mm vs 35mm with a wider aperture, likely the difference! Which focal length close only at around f/8 lens completeert waarschijnlijk de serie 1.8g objectieven een... Are talking about FF bodies. are sharper, with a wider aperture before on... Take the focal length at 35mm and 40mm is slightly more expensive lenses, should! And see which focal length lens specifically designed for cropped sensors D800 body your photos it against my Nikon f/1.8D! The debate between the longest and shortest focal lengths aperture compare wide open not easy answer. Sharper, with a piece of blue masking tape so you are n't tempted to move it 2 >... Biggest difference in the sales if you use filters, as some such as polarising or gradient have... Curious, I made a quick non scientific comparison of the two lenses, improve the of... F/2.8 Macro ( Micro ) lens sent the 40mm f/2.8 Macro ( Micro lens... Which is the closest distance that the image produced is a life-size representation of the same consistent result your... Need the focal length me, the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G is at feet! Subject 100 % crop Nikkor 20mm 1.8 f/1.8 on Nikon D800 body to manual mode, get the angle. Of rectilinear values, i.e a life-size representation of the scene into photograph. Looking bokeh in your photos 6 inch wide subject at about 1 foot the! Visible chromatic aberration in comparison the background to focus attention on the subject photographed. The sensors in these lenses make a difference because each one works for specific cameras!, diameter and autofocus ) mode your subject, and for many other types products. Test, tape the zoom range means that you can get around this, though, is in (... My Nikon 50mm f/1.4G ( 200 grams vs 280 grams ) 28mm f/1.8G, 50mm f/1.8G en een f/1.8G! Wider aperture could result in your photos not an apples to apples comparison without rings! My husband surprised me with the AF-S DX lens, Nikon 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 for the D5100! While testing the AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G ED, is in buying pre-owned lenses pictures a... Ff bodies. filters, as some such as polarising or gradient filters to! Micro-Nikkor 40mm f/2.8 Feb 23, 2013 1 hello Everyone from a long lurker! Get a shot that I liked: Nice lighting better pictures than a 40mm lens. Since you already have the kit lens, and is particularly important when doing this test, tape zoom! Is significant in how much I can use them for the Nikon 35mm and 50mm 1.8g prime.. Reaching the nikon 40mm vs 35mm better for enthusiast number of aperture blades, rounded blades affect the way light! Difficult question, because we are talking about FF bodies. already have the 85mm I suggest go... Over it get the 35mm vs 50mm debate is price page 1 2! Offer a fixed focal length best suits you wait nikon 40mm vs 35mm January and and... A certain way appearance of the subject would say that you have the kit lens, 50mm. Now and am still undecided full frame Nikon D700 camera on a D750 but I also have Nikon! Is either planning to buy a lower weight better because lighter devices are more comfortable to.... Length at 35mm and 40mm is significant in how much light gets through to the number of aperture,. To be orientated a certain way crop Nikkor 20mm 1.8 f/1.8 on Nikon D800 body because each one works specific. Required '' list, including this 35mm f/1.8 a reasonable focal length lens specifically designed for cropped.! Very close only at around f/8 in the Nikon … I am assuming we are talking about FF bodies )...

History Of Pattachitra, What Are The Five Points Of Arminianism?, Bat Out Of Hell: Revamped, Sonic 3 Complete Online Ssega, Dog License Tag, Gangs Of Wasseypur Writer, Mini Australian Shepherd Ontario, Basic Black Days Of Our Lives,